- 3 Tbsp. Mezzetta® Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices and separated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 c. Mezzetta® Pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. Mezzetta® Colossal Sicilian Spiced Olives, Chopped
- 1 c. thinly sliced button or shitake mushrooms
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 4 deli slices of sharp provolone
- *Calculated ingredients may not always be as accurate as the original recipe.
Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, vinegar and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 - 7 minutes, turning often until onions are soft and beginning to look golden. Remove to a plate and keep warm. In the same skillet, add remaining oil. Over medium heat, add the olives and mushrooms, stir often for about 6 minutes. Add in the onions stir to combine. Cook only long enough to re-heat onions with the olive-mushroom mixture.
Split rolls and spread the mixture evenly on the bottom half. Place a slice of cheese on top of the olive-mushroom mixture and cover with top of roll. Heat a griddle or heavy skillet on the stove and place paninis on pan. Weight paninis with another heavy skillet and cook on each side for about 5-6 minutes until golden and toasted.