- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 c. Mezzetta® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ciabatta rolls cut into halves
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 c. dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/3 c. grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 c. Mezzetta® Homemade Style Marinara
- *Calculated ingredients may not always be as accurate as the original recipe
Butterfly the chicken breasts. Cut each one in half and pound to 1/4" thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
In a 3 quart saute pan over medium heat, warm the 1 cup oil unitl hot. Brush the rolls on both sides with oil. Preheat an electric panini press to medium.
Place the flour and eggs in separate bowls. In another bowl mix together the bread crumbs and parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the chicken into the eggs, letting the excess drip off. Place the chicken in the bread crumb mixture, pressing gently so the crumbs adhere.
Place 2 chicken pieces in the hot oil in the saute pan and fry, turning once, until golden and crisp (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a plate. Repeat to fry the remaining chicken.
Place 1 piece of chicken on the bottom of each roll and top with 1/3 cup mozzarella, 1 Tbs basil and 1/4 cup Mezzetta® Homemade Style Marinara. Cover the top halves of the rolls. Place 2 of the sandwiches on the preheated panini press, close the lid and cook until the cheese is melted (about 3-4 minutes).
Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Repeat to cook the remaining sandwiches.